Aboriginal Legal Services
NOTICES / EVENTS / EMPLOYMENT
DIRECTOR OF FINANCE (REQUIRED CONTRACT) (PDF)
Position type: Full time – 6 month contract
Reports to: Treasurer of the Board
Are your interested in a hands-on contract finance role, where you will improve the ability of an impactful Indigenous non-profit to serve its clients?
Aboriginal Legal Services (ALS) (formerly Aboriginal Legal Services of Toronto or ALST) strengthens the capacity of the Indigenous community and its citizens to deal with justice issues and provide Indigenous controlled and culturally based justice alternatives. Our dedicated staff is our most valued resource. Our teachings, compassionate care, teamwork, professionalism, communication and respect are among the values that set ALS apart.
Operating through two legal entities, ALS currently runs nine programs across 11 locations in Southern Ontario. ALS also participates in test litigation, and has achieved many high profile wins at the Supreme Court level.
During the 6 month contract, the Director of Finance will work closely with the bookkeeper and the treasurer to review and improve financial policies, processes, internal controls, and financial reporting. The Director of Finance will also oversee the bookeeper in the day to day accounting function, and prepare for the year end (31 March 2018). The Director of Finance will report to the treasurer of the Board, but will work closely with the directors of ALS Inc and Legal Clinic.
The ideal candidate will have positive, collaborative attitude, experience working with not for profits and fund accounting, and knowledge of streamlining and strengthening processes and controls. In addition, the ideal candidate will have experience working in an anti-oppressive way with Indigenous or other marginalized communities.
• Oversee the bookkeeper in day to day accounting activities
• Review and improve financial policies, processes, and internal controls in collaboration with the bookkeeper, and the treasurer
• Reconcile accounts and prepare schedules for the year end (31 March 2018)
• Assess and report on available program funds to inform spending decisions
• Evaluate the processes for accounting for funds, and make improvements as needed
• Review and optimize the use of the accounting software (Quickbooks).
• Ensure compliance with all government and regulatory requirements (HST, T3010 etc.)
• Work closely with the Program Director and the Interim Legal Advocacy Director (heads of ALS Inc and Legal Clinic respectfully) to improve information flows to allow them to effectively lead their organizations
• Work closely with the treasurer to simplify and strengthen reporting to the Board.
• Review banking arrangements and make improvements as needed
• Prepare budgets, and ensure spending against budgets is controlled.
• Forecast and manage cashflow
• Oversees financial reporting to funders
• Carry out ad hoc analysis and special projects as required by the directors and the Board.
• 3-5+ years non-profit accounting experience
• Experience in fund accounting and reporting to funders
• Strong experience in reviewing and improving financial processes and policies
• Experience with non-profit regulatory requirements
• CPA designation required
• Advanced MS Microsoft excel skills
• Experience with Quickbooks desirable
• Ability to achieve results in a collaborative and proactive manner
Please submit your resume and cover letter to email@example.com, Senior Manager of Human Resources, by 5:00 p.m. Wednesday December 6th, 2017. ALS thanks all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected to continue in the recruitment process will be contacted.
Pursuant to the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the Ontario Human Rights Code, ALS will accommodate all applicants with disabilities to the point of undue hardship during the recruitment and hiring process. Accommodation will be provided upon request and in accordance with the principles of dignity, individualization, and inclusion. ALS will work cooperatively, and in a spirit of respect, with all partners in the accommodation process.
ALS is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, colour, race, citizenship, ethnic origin, place of origin, creed, disability, family status, marital status (including single status) gender identity, gender expression, receipt of public assistance (in housing only), sex (including pregnancy and breastfeeding) or sexual orientation.
Child Welfare Council
LAW REFORM & ADVOCACY
NOTICES / EVENTS / EMPLOYMENT
Honouring His Honour - Auction